Kintargo has long been known as a haven and draw for artists, particularly composers, directors, and musicians eager to expand on Cheliax’s operatic traditions. After the Chelish Civil War ended and House Thrune seized control of Cheliax, the citizens of Kintargo fell in line begrudgingly. Unlike the open rebellions that defined cities to the southwest, Kintargo maintained a quiet but strong resistance to all things infernal. As a result, the city became a favorite of many noble families as a place to spend time away from the entanglements of government duties, and Kintargo’s citizens and leaders became experts at riding the thin line between being loyal Chelish citizens and independent minded libertarians.
During these years under Thrune law, Kintargo has maintained closer ties to the culture, people, and wealth of Varisian cities such as Korvosa and Magnimar than they have to Chelish cities such as Corentyn and Egorian. Most Kintargans choke to call themselves subjects of anything but their many-splendored city. They spend the warm, humid summers quietly tolerating being ruled by whatever distant capital insists they owe fealty, then spend the long, cold, rainy winters openly fantasizing about a revolution. Yet until today, the need for outright rebellion has never seemed worth the cost in blood.
With Lord-Mayor Jillia Bainilus gone, only to be replaced by the House Thrune and Asmodeus backed Barzillai Thrune, changes are sweeping the city. More devils and Dottari now walk the streets and new laws are being brought into place. Since his arrival and taking over of the Kintargo Opera House, Barzillai Thrune has instigated the following laws:
Laws and Proclamations
- Curfew: All citizens without proper dispensation from the Lord-Mayor must clear the streets between the hours of 9pm and 6am. A 5gp penalty and one night’s jail will be the punishment if caught.
- Bridge Tax: 5sp per crossing to help fund the war effort.
- Proclamation the First All slayers of city pests (hereby defined as doves, mice, rats, stoats and ravens) who present said pests to the dottari shall be rewarded with a bounty of 1 copper piece.
- Proclamation the Second All places of public business must display in a position of prominence within the first room accessible from the building’s primary entrance a portrait of Her Infernal Majestrix Queen Abrogail II. Said portrait must measure no less than 11 by 17 inches.
- Proclamation the Third Anyone who captures, alive and unharmed, a feral dog of a weight exceeding 50 pounds is to be rewarded with a payment of 2 silver pieces upon transfer of the dog to the dottari. Such noble guardian creatures should find homes worthy of their kind!
- Proclamation the Fourth The right to wear fine embroidered clothing in public is hereafter proscribed to anyone other than agents of House Thrune or the Holy Church of Asmodeus. Exceptions can be awarded or purchased at the city’s discretion.
- Proclamation the Fifth Grain is life! Should grain be spilled in public, all must be gathered, cleaned, and repackaged within the hour. Any person who allows grain to go ungathered after a spillage shall be fined one copper piece per grain.
- Proclamation the Sixth The imbibing of night tea brings a dangerous imbalance to the slumbering mind. Between the hours of sunset and sunrise, the taking of tea is proscribed.
- Proclamation the Seventh The odor and flavor of mint is an abomination to the refined palate. Be not the cretin! Mint use in candies, drinks, and all manner of confections is hereby proscribed.
- Proclamation the Eighth All nonnative ships’ captains must remain on board their ships and are barred from setting foot on land within Kintargo’s city limits—their crew and agents are free to come and go, but their actions are directly the responsibility of their captains, and any crew caught breaking Kintargan law shall have its punishment visited upon the crew members as well as their captain. Any captain caught setting foot in Kintargo is to be punished by squassation.
- Proclamation the Ninth By order of the Lord-Mayor Barzillai Thrune, The Congress of Hellknights known as the Order of the Torrent is from this day forward stripped of its charter. All of its holdings and possessions are confiscated, its privileges and entitlements revoked, and its members declared outlaws! Steadfast citizens are commanded to turn over those members who have slipped the net of justice!
Sites of Legend
- Founder’s Flame: Hidden away in the labyrinthine parts of Old Kintargo, a strange fountain stands. Obviously built in the first era of Kintargo, its location opposite the first town hall of the city meant that it was once an icon of importance but now, the simple stone font has stood in ignored silence for centuries. With its oil refilled and flame alight, it once again pulses with latent power, the fire changing colours and dancing to its own will.
Benefit: The first time a viewer spends at least 10 minutes in quiet contemplation in front of the Founder’s Flame, they may make a Arcana DC14 check. Success fills them with the fire to protect the city and all fire based spells gain a +1 DC for 12 hours. Future visits do not require a roll.